Jewellery Care: Cleaning Silver Jewellery

clean-silver-with-baking-soda

Have you ever wondered why your sterling silver jewellery turns black/tarnishes over time? Here’s why…. and guess what? There’s an easy way toΒ clean your silver jewellery too!

Quite simply it’s because sterling silver 925 is made up of 92.5% fine silver which is very soft. Jewellery generally can’t be made from this as it scratches easily and won’t hold its shine. The other 7.5% is made up of other metals (typically copper) which when mixed with the fine silver make sterling silver which strengthens and stabilises the metal, and makes perfect for making jewellery that lasts a lifetime.
It’s these other metals in the mix which mean it darkens over time. While some pieces will look great with this aged effect, sometimes you want your piece to sparkle on. The shine will always come back to sterling silver, so you can easily get these re-polished by a jeweller. (try a small local one as a lot of big chains won’t offer this service for silvers) OR, there is a home remedy which works a treat:

Line a small dish with aluminium foil

Sprinkle in 1 x teaspoon of baking soda
1 x teaspoon of salt
1/2 C of hot water (not boiling though)

And… simply dip in your silver jewellery. Swish it around for a bit, take out and rinse with fresh water.

You’ll see the difference immediately and you can keep sparkling! You can use this same technique to polish your silverware (if you’re grown up enough to own “silverware”!)

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *