How did Diamonds get their name?
The name “Diamond” is derived from the Greek word ‘adamas’ that means proper, unalterable, unbreakable, untamed.
What is a Carat?
- The word carat comes from the Carob Mediterranean tree whose seed was used for centuries as the standard of weighing precious stones.
- Only one polished diamond out of a thousand weighs more than one carat. (so if your jewellery is one carat, I would count yourself one lucky lady!)
- 1 carat = 0.2 grams or .007 ounces.
- The largest rough diamond, discovered in 1905, is the Cullinan diamond, weighing in at 3,106 carats (Nearly 1.3kgs!)… that would be some bling and a half!
- A single diamond of two carats is worth more than twice a much as 2 one carat diamonds.
What is the colour of Diamond?
In their pure state, diamonds are colourless, these are the diamonds we all associate with and recognise as the traditional engagement ring. Blue and red are the rarest coloured diamonds. These are often mistaken to the general public as other gemstones..… but look closely next time you’re passing a jewellers window, you’ll see that sparkle! Yellow and brown are the most common coloured diamonds.
Where is Diamond Sourced?
Diamonds are thought to have been first recognised and mined in India, where significant alluvial deposits of the stone could be found many centuries ago along the rivers Penner, Krishna and Godavari.
What is the hardness of Diamond?
Diamond is the hardest known natural material on the Mohs scale (Unit of measurement used to test the hardness of gemstones.) Hardness is defined as resistance to scratching and is graded between 1 (softest) and 10 (hardest). Diamond has a hardness of 10 on this scale and is four times harder than the mineral corundum, which is 9 on the Mohs scale. So, even though might be able to scratch some diamonds with other materials, the hardest diamonds can only be scratched by other diamonds and nanocrystalline diamond aggregates. Although I wouldn’t recommend trying this on your precious engagement ring!
What are the different types of cut of Diamond?
The round cut diamond is the most popular diamond shape, representing approximately 75% of all diamonds sold whereas the princess cut diamond, first created in 1980, is the most popular fancy diamond shape, especially for engagement rings. The oval diamond is also a popular choice as is a modified brilliant-cut. Both round and oval cut diamonds possess a similar fire and brilliance.